Custom Resolution Utility is a small freeware utility which can tweak your NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards to create higher resolutions.
As a portable application, CRU does not require installation and can be run without installation.
The layout of the program provides a list of currently supported resolutions for your monitor with the option to add new ones.
The application isn't perfect, but if your monitor can support higher and/or different resolutions from what's displayed in your graphics control panel, Custom Resolution Utility will create EDID values in the registry so that you may select the resolutions in your graphics settings.
Currently supported GPUs are limited to some AMD/ATI and NVIDIA cards, as Intel GPUs are not supported.
It's worth pointing out that you should have an idea of what your monitor and GPU are capable of. If anything goes wrong, the download comes with an app called "reset-all.exe" which can be run to revert any changes you have made with Custom Resolution Utility.
Features and highlights
- Detailed resolutions are the preferred way to add custom resolutions
- The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution
- HDMI is treated as single-link DVI unless an HDMI support data block is defined in the first extension block
- HDMI limits depend on the graphics card
- AMD/ATI's driver also listens to the TMDS clock limit in the HDMI support data block
- Passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapters are limited to 165 MHz unless the driver is patched
Custom Resolution Utility 1.5.1 on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs
This download is licensed as freeware for the Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system on a laptop or desktop PC from video tweaks without restrictions. Custom Resolution Utility 1.5.1 is available to all software users as a free download for Windows.
The program was created by the developer as a freeware product, but donations for the continued development are highly appreciated. You may generally make a donation via the developer's main web site.
- Custom Resolution Utility Download
- Freeware Video Tweaks
- Major release: Custom Resolution Utility 1.5
- Custom Resolution Software